In the scriptures, we learn the story of a rich man who came to the Savior and asked him, after observing all the commandments all his life, could he do to earn his way into the Kingdom of God. Christ's response to the young man was to sell all his possessions and follow Him. The young man was sadden by the response and walked away.
Are our possessions greater than anything our Heavenly Father can give us? For me, no. I made a covenant with my Heavenly Father in the temple, promising everything I am and have to the building of the Kingdom of God. I have not always felt like this, nor I am not perfect now. I know as I continue to see the things around me as gifts from God, I see them as gifts my Heavenly Father has given to not only bless me and my family but can also bless the lives of others.
In the scriptures, Christ also teaches the parable of the Lord and his vineyard. He goes out multiple times during the day, seeking anyone who will work in his vineyard. As the day comes to the end, all the workers are called together and given their wages. No matter the time of day they were called, each are given the same wage. Some of the workers that had been there all day long were angry because they had sweated and worker hard in the heat of the day. They asked why they weren't paid more because they had been there longer and thought they deserved more than the ones that had been there less time.
In thinking about this, we were asked to apply that to life today. The Lord has called everyone to work in the vineyard, to share the gospel and it's blessings to those around us. Some of us are life long members while others joined later in life. Regardless of when we become part of the gospel, we are receive the same blessings regardless of how long we have participated in the Church. I think to my friends how are converts and I see how hard they work at their testimony and then turn around and share it with those they love. They have taken the gift they have been given and continue to share it. I think of my own life long membership. Do I share the gift of the gospel with the same enthusiasm that my convert friends do? Brent and I talked about this and I feel like I fall completely short of my convert friends when it comes to sharing. They work with all their strength and might in the short amount of time they have been members. As a life long member, I don't know what it's like not to have the gospel in my life. I have been sheltered a little bit and in my own mind, feel that I have gotten a little lazy in my efforts. My convert friends may actually be more deserving of that full days wage than I.
My saving grace is that Heavenly Father sees us all with equality. He is no respecter of persons. I work hard at my own testimony and teaching those within my stewardship but I know I need to work harder at reaching out to those around me. As I commit to this righteous desire and pray for those opportunities, I know Heavenly Father will put them in my path and I can feel more deserving of all that He has and will bless me with.
No comments:
Post a Comment