Tuesday, November 26, 2013

The Savior Anointed

In reading over our choice options on the assignment, I chose the subject found in Matthew 14:3-9 where woman comes to Christ and anoints Him with very expense oil. It was not a straight forward assignment like the others would have been and I chose this one because it forced me to study it out to find the answers. I am gratitude for opportunities like these that encourage me to stretch beyond the knowledge I already have and to obtain more through Spiritual guidance and words from our modern day prophets and apostles.

In this scriptural account, we learn that the woman anointed Christ with oil that was very expensive. Christ disciples recognize the cost of this oil and thought it was unwise for anointing and would have rather seen the woman sell it and give to the poor. They missed the significance of what this woman was doing in the worship and respect for Jesus. It was through this act, that she showed us that we must give our best efforts as we worship and respect Christ. If we are to give of our substance to those around us, we should give as if we were giving them to Christ Himself because in Matthew 25:40 we are reminded when we give to those around us, we are giving unto God. He knows our hearts and out intentions. If we give of ourselves and of our things, it must be with a pure intent.


In this account, we can also look to Christ for an example as the receiver of the gift this woman gave. In a talk given by President Dieter F. Ucthdorf at the Christmas Devotional for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in December 2012, he reminded us that the Savior knew of the love and devotion that this woman was giving that was symbolized by the anointing of the oil on His head. He accepted her gift, rebuked his disciples for getting after her for what they thought was wasteful, and recognized the gift as love. A gift given to us in love needs to be received as such. Not to be dismissed or set aside. Just as we must give our best to show love and respect to those we give, we must also accept in the same spirit knowing that the giver is giving with love and respect to you.


At Christmas, gifts are being received and given. President Ucthdorf reminds us to be the receiver Christ has shown us to be; and from the scriptures, the woman has shown us the giver Christ wants us to be. As I think about the list of gifts I will be giving this holiday season, I know that none is more important than giving of my love and respect to my Savior to those around me. This is the Spirit of Christ that can be felt not only in the holiday season but every day of the year.

I hope that your Thanksgiving is a blessed day.

No comments: