Friday, December 6, 2013

The Holy Ghost


As an eight year old girl getting baptized into The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, I don't think I had any idea what it meant to have the Holy Ghost with me and why it was important. I could tell you what I had learned from being raised in the gospel and attending Primary classes but I don't think I truly knew what it meant until I was older and I learned to listen and recognize the Spirit's promptings in my life.

Over the years, I have come to know that as I keep the commandments and strive to always do what is right, I will remain worthy of the companionship of the Holy Ghost and he will always abide with me. He will help me know right from wrong and even help me know what I should do. When I was a teenager and employed, I began to feel like I could have anything in the world with the money I was earning. On one such day, I was looking at a magazine and found an ad for a product in which I wanted to buy and I was excited. I set the ad aside to look at again later and picked up my scriptures for that days reading for my seminary class. As I read in The Book of Mormon, I came across a scripture in 2 Nephi 9 that talked about not spending money something that was of no worth. At that very moment, I felt instantly that my Heavenly Father was telling my through a prompting of the Holy Ghost not to waste my money on something in which did not matter or would not bring me any satisfaction.

The Holy Ghost will teach us in all things and bring those things back to our remembrance when they are most needed. In the last few months or years, I have come to know this applies to our spiritual learning as well as our worldly pursuits.  Being in college later in life, I have come to rely on the Holy Ghost in my studies and then to help me recall the information I have learned. It seems like a miracle every time this happens but I know that Heavenly Father truly knows me and as I learn to trust Him, He helps me found the answer through the Holy Ghost.

The greatest of all testifier of Christ and Heavenly Father is the Holy Ghost. Through his power and touch, we will come to know Christ and Heavenly Father. We will know of the truth of their words and of their love for us. The Holy Ghost will help us see the will of the Lord. He will also help us live to our full potential if we let him and live the teachings of Christ. Through our trust, faith, and obedience, the Holy Ghost will be a constant companion as well as protect and shield us from the attacks of Satan and all his workers.

Christ knew that men would need someone in teach us when He was no longer on the earth to help teach and be a comforter after he was crucified. Through the Holy Ghost, who is the great testifier. Through his power, we can know and feel the truth of all things. Through his promptings we can feel the stir of a testimony or the spark to share what we know to be true. One thing I have also come to learn about the Holy Ghost is that he speaks to each of us differently and that is because we all listen differently. Some can listen to the spoken work and through the reading of some scripture passage and feel the promptings of the spirit. Others are drawn to visual truths. And yet others respond to musical notes played or sang. Music has always been that way for me. I have many a song I have listened to over the years that have moved me in one way or another.

I know the Holy Ghost is real. I know he works in harmony with Heavenly Father and Christ in such a way that will call us back from the deepest, darkest hole we could every bury ourselves into. We have to ready and willing to accept whatever Heavenly Father has ready for us. Through the power of the Holy Ghost, we can move mountains and I know it is true.

No comments: