Saturday, October 7, 2017

Marriage - An Extraordinary Work




Elder David A. Bednar said in his talk titled, “Marriage Is Essential to His Eternal Plan” that “We are ordinary people who must accomplish a most extraordinary work.” He said this because it is our responsibility to learn and teach Heavenly Father’s plan and live by that example to all those we come in contact with. Some people often wonder if they are equal to the work that is being asked of us. However, Heavenly Father knows we can do it. He has given us the spiritual resources in which to help us be the righteous examples He needs us to be, especially to our children.

The most important resource is Jesus Christ. We, as parents, as husband and wife, need to make Him our focus, our center. As we focus on His teachings and strive to make our relationship closer with Him, we, in turn, will be making our relationship with our spouse closer too. 

In a talk given in October 1996, Elder Bruce C. Hafen said that “when troubles come to a covenant marriage, the husband and wife work them through. They marry to give and to grow, bound by covenants to each other, to the community, and to God. Contract companions each give 50 percent; covenant companions each give 100 percent.”  As husband and wife, we each need to be working hard on our relationship. When one is dragging or a little weak, the other can pick it up until the other can regain their strength again. Marriage does require a leap of faith. A couple must be keeping the covenants they make without knowing what will go wrong. They must be willing to be obedient to God and make sacrifices for each other. When they do, the blessings they receive will bring unimaginable joy and happiness. Elder Hafen also said, “when we observe the covenants we make at the altar of sacrifice, we discover hidden reservoirs of strength.”


I would like to think that I’m a strong person on my own. However, I know the joy of having someone by my side and the strength he has given me in some very hard times. Just when I think I’m at the end of my rope and ready to give in, he jumps in and adds his strength to mine. There have even been times he has carried the load by himself because I was just too weak. As I think about the future and what it holds for us, the happiness and tears, I know I have a husband who loves and supports me but also loves the Lord. It is because of our commitment to each other and to the Lord that we are able to meet the demands of this “extraordinary work.”


References:

Hafen, Bruce C. (November 1996). “Covenant Marriage.” Ensign.

Bednar, David A. (June 2006). “Marriage is Essential to His Eternal Plan,” Ensign.

No comments: