Saturday, November 23, 2019

Screen Time?


-->
https://www.flickr.com/photos/zionfiction/21238849429/in/photostream/

We talk a lot about the dangers of too much screen time for our children and how it is affecting them socially, emotionally, and physically but how are screens affecting the adults? Why aren’t the news reporters talking about this? Are our children in front of the screen so much because we are that example? I know I have been because so much of my time is spent on the computer for work and online education. Then, when I’m not in front of my computer, you might find a smartphone or a television nearby. In other words, I am addicted to the screen.

I spent a little time on the internet today googling “screen time” and all the articles that popped up were related to children and nothing on adults or even people in general. Could the effects they are seeing in children actually be affecting everyone? This question took a more specific search.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/zionfiction/20893918141 

What I found is that we are affected in much the same way. Depression can set in, we are less healthy because we’re not as physically active, and sleep can is offset when we are on our screens just before bed. Aren’t these the same issues they are finding in children?

As I scrolled down the search results, I began to find articles asking if adults should have screen time limits too and that screen time rules aren’t just for kids anymore. One article caught my eye by stating that a British neuroscientist says screen time is turning adults into “volatile three-year-olds” and it all has to do with the amount of time we are spending in front of our computer screens.

Now, I’m not here to tell you how much time is good or bad to spend in front of your screen. I’m all for you making your own boundaries. For me, the amount of time I am in front of a screen is dictated according to my work and school load. However, every chance I get, I will be making better choices for my downtime and making sure that I am spending more time physical, emotional, and socially present and engaged.

https://pixabay.com/photos/path-people-outside-outdoor-2680612/

No comments: