Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Sometimes peer pressure isn't a bad thing!

When I'm asked about peer pressure, I can now say that sometimes it's not a bad thing. I have a good friend who started blogging about her shopping trips (thebargainjargon.com) and how she got those great deals. I have been following now for a couple of months and today was my first venture without checking out what someone else did because I had several Walgreens register rewards coupons that were expiring today and later in the week so I took advantage of adding to our storage. Here's what I was able to do:





So, here's how I did it (just remember that I only got these things because I had free money that was going to be thrown away if I didn't use them today and I just couldn't let that happen):
Transaction #1 :
(3) boxes Kellogs Special K cereal $10
(3) Mars brand candy bars $.89 each
(1) Colgate MaxFresh toothpaste $2.99
Then I used:
In-ad coupon for the Mars brand candy bars for $.49 each (limit of 6).
(3) $1 off coupons for Special K
(1) $1 off coupon for Colgate
(1) $2 off Walgreens register reward earned in previous weeks
(2) $3 off Walgreens register reward earned in previous weeks
I paid $2.75 out of pocket and received a register reward coupon for $3 from the Special K and $2 from the Colgate toothpaste. So I got everything in this transaction for free and earned $2.25.
Transaction #2:
(1) Omega-3 Fish Oil Tablets $8
(1) Colgate MaxFresh toothpaste $2.99
(5) Mars brand candy bars $.89 each
Then I used:
In-ad coupon for the Mars brand candy bars for $.49 each (limit of 6).
(1) $1 off coupon for Colgate
(2) $3 off Walgreens register reward earned in previous weeks
(1) $2 off Walgreens register reward earned in previous weeks
(2) $2.50 off Walgreens register reward earned in previous weeks
I paid $2.96 out of pocket and received a register reward coupon for $8 from the fish oil and $2 from the Colgate toothpaste. So I got everything in this transaction for free and earned $7.04.
Transaction #3
(1) Colgate MaxWhite toothbrush $2.99
(2) Mars brand candy bars.
Then I used:
In-ad coupon for the Mars brand candy bars for $.49 each (limit of 6).
(1) $1 off Colgate toothbrush
(1) $2 off Walgreens register reward earned in previous weeks
I paid $1.25 out of pocket and received another register reward for $2 making everything in this purchase free too and earning $.75.
I know that is a lot of candy bars but when you're using register rewards with manufacturer coupons, you need some filler items. It's a good thing I bought some toothpaste and a toothbrush to go with them! Anyways, I may have been able to do better but I think I didn't do too bad with my first on-my-own Walgreens trip. Thank you Christy for helping me become a better steward with the money the my Heavenly Father has entrusted my husband and I with!

1 comment:

Christy said...

You did awesome Nicole! I am so glad you shared.