H. Wallace Goddard, in the conclusion of his book, "Drawing Heaven Into Your Marriage," states that "Jesus is not only the Creator of worlds but the Energizer of relationships." He teaches us throughout the book that the Lord not only needs to be a partner in our relationship to prosper but "He must be the ruling partner." It is through Him that we are successful in our marriages and can see beyond the little (and sometimes big) things that irate us about our spouse.
One way Christ helps us to be successful is through charity. Christ was the great exemplar of charity. He sees beyond the sin and pain and accepts the gift that is offered from the lowest of persons. Goddard teaches that when we love our spouse as they are, regardless of what is perceived as flaws, we won't care that they change and it is in that "very thing that liberates them to change."
I have seen this principle work in my own life. As a young wife with small kids, I would often sit in a Relief Society meeting and hear lessons of what I thought I wanted my husband to be. I dreamed of the strong priesthood leader in my home that would come home from work on a Monday night and lead our family in a spiritual discussion that would take our children on the path of the gospel truth. It wasn't long before I realized, at that time, it wasn't what my husband could give. Most days, it was all he could do to peal himself out of bed just to provide a living for our small family. It wasn't until he lost his job and I accepted him for all that he could give that things began to change for us. I was the one that lead our family in those spiritual discussions. It was my efforts that got our children to church every week so they knew our traditions and dedication to the gospel to living according to the covenants we made. When I learned to back off on my expectations and love my husband for what he could give, that is when he began to be a greater force in our home and in the Priesthood. Today, he is the Priesthood leader I saw in him so many years ago. Today, he is the force of good and strength in our home that I knew he could be when he struggled so much. I create this to the Spirit helping me to see his potential, not his lack.
Goddard ends his chapter on charity by stating that "our partners will love us because we first love them. Love first. Don't wait to be loved." Today, my husband is the husband I dreamed of. Not because he is active in the church and leading our family in good, gospel discussions, but because he loves me for me just as much as I love him for him. And most of all, we love the Lord and truly make Him the Energizer of our relationship.
References:
Goddard, H.W. (2007). Drawing Heaven Into Your Marriage. Fairfax, VA: Meridian Publishing.


No comments:
Post a Comment