In his book, “Drawing Heaven into Your Marriage,” H. Wallace Goddard states “that Satan attacks us with subtle and indirect means…We should be prepared for his attacks…By being aware of the danger signs we can prevent the problems that being so innocently but end so disastrously.” Things happen every day, everywhere in our lives that could easily draw us away from the one we have made covenants with. This became all too real for me soon after my husband and I were married but, at the time, I wasn’t aware of how disastrous it could have been.
I worked at a large retail chain store and had many friends, one of which, being a man just a little older than me but had developed a friendship with. Not long after, I met, dated and married, my husband but didn’t stop being friends with this gentleman because we both worked in the same department. It was hard to avoid him. At the time, I was naive to things like this but still should have known better because my mom always taught me to avoid even the appearance of evil. One day, he asked me to go to lunch with him. Again, not thinking beyond two co-workers having lunch together, I accepted. It wasn’t until later that day when my husband and I chatted that I was made aware of the danger this presented to our relationship.
From that day on, we made the agreement to never be along with anyone of the opposite sex. We have lived that to the best of our abilities. If something were to happen that involved something of that nature, we would call each other in advance to let the other know which was the case about a year ago when my boss needed a ride to the dealership to pick up his car after repair service.
From that day on, we made the agreement to never be along with anyone of the opposite sex. We have lived that to the best of our abilities. If something were to happen that involved something of that nature, we would call each other in advance to let the other know which was the case about a year ago when my boss needed a ride to the dealership to pick up his car after repair service.
In the past few weeks, I received some opposition to the agreement my husband and I have made. My boss likes to give us money to take another employee out to lunch for is assigned to us in whatever random order is chosen. I was asked to take a male co-worker. When I shared the agreement I had with my husband with this person and others in the office, I was told how ridiculous it was when I asked to do a group thing rather than one on one. One person told me that it defeated the purpose of the activity, which was to get to know someone else in the office outside of work. Regardless of how they felt though, I’m standing my ground about honoring the commitment I made with my husband. We will see what happens but I’m hoping he will accept my offer to take both him and his wife to dinner with my husband.
It is situations like these, Satan will make it seem innocent enough and try to weasel a wedge into our relationships. It’s hard to tell at first but if you follow the guidelines listed below from Goddard, you can prevent any disasters waiting to take your marriage down. Here is Goddard’s list:
![]() |
| http://dilbert.com/strip/2012-02-05 |
It is situations like these, Satan will make it seem innocent enough and try to weasel a wedge into our relationships. It’s hard to tell at first but if you follow the guidelines listed below from Goddard, you can prevent any disasters waiting to take your marriage down. Here is Goddard’s list:
- Don’t allow thoughts, fantasies, etc of anyone to take root in your heart or mind.
- Be aware of the messages you give to others, especially to those of the opposite sex.
- Don’t look for and make excuses to spend time alone with anyone other than your spouse.
- If you find yourself making excuses, get help!
- Make every effort to not be alone with someone you may have feelings for that is not your spouse.
- Stay away from pornography.
- Look for ways and excuses to spend more time with your spouse.
- Recommit yourself to your spiritual studies and experiences.
- Celebrate your marriage and your spouse.
As I look back on that first experience many years ago, I recognize the things that could have gone wrong. But I am grateful for a husband that helped me see the error, forgave me quickly, and then committed us to the arrangement that we have honored all these years. By adding the preventions Goddard suggests, we can strengthen our commitment as we look for and prepare for all the ways Satan attacks the love we share.
References:
Goddard, H.W. (2007) Drawing Heaven Into Your Marriage. Fairfax, VA: Meridian Publishing.

No comments:
Post a Comment